Old February 19th 18, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 7:45:57 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/18/2018 8:04 PM, John B. wrote:

So, one might say that for riding in hilly terrain the STI shifters
are mandatory for success while if riding on level ground are far less
important.

Even in hilly terrain, STI is not mandatory for non-competitive success.
I've crossed the Appalachians with friction shifting.

People succeeded in riding in hilly terrain even before there were
derailleurs, let alone STI.

Nothing is mandatory. I've crossed all the major mountain ranges with friction shifters, too. I just prefer STI. And I would say that it would be handicap to race without them.

BTW, I would have used the old brake hose to pull the new, but the meth-heads pulled the old tube. Why? Who knows. The thief or an associate cut the tube at the bars, took the rear caliper and yanked the tube out of the frame. The grommets are lost, and by pulling out the hose, the thief left the foam outer hose (a foam sleeve that keeps the hose from rattling) inside the frame. I had to fish that out with my Harbor Freight dental tool.

-- Jay Beattie.