Old October 21st 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

Default Before & after bike ghettos

On Oct 20, 6:22 am, damyth wrote:
On Oct 20, 5:41 am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in ...
On Oct 19, 12:38 pm, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"Radey Shouman" wrote in ...
Nope. I'm finding it hard to believe that people are obstructed in
that situation with any regularity.

Incredible.

Admittedly, I don't have to deal with such dense traffic very often.
One of you guys talked about a mile backup from a stop sign, something
I've absolutely never seen. That's well over 200 cars backed up, and
at an overoptimistic five seconds per car, that's over fifteen minutes
to even make it to the stop sign.

Had to take the car today (grumble) and had a wait of 10 minutes at
one stop. Probably not a mile, more like 4 blocks but it's a 4-way so it
took more than 5 seconds per car.
On my bike, I would have been in the bike lane (sorry, I meant inside the
paint) and it would have taken 20 seconds like it did every day that I wasn't
driving.

Yes, in a situation like that, I'd probably pass carefully on the
right. But I'm a bit skeptical that such an event happens very often.

Be skeptical if you like but you should investigate life in the real world
before dismissing anyone with a solution different than yours. Without
the bike lane you wouldn't have passed carefully on the right because
all of the traffic turning right in front of you would have been hugging
the curb.

Vehicular cycling works some time. Some time it doesn't.
Even Forester doesn't claim that it works everywhere.

Maybe we should take a poll and see how many people here have a commute
similar to this or who are skeptical that this exists?

I've never biked in Montreal but I've lived and biked in a lot of
cities in the US. Quite frankly I have no idea what you're talking
about. Why would drivers (in Montreal or elsewhere) have an obsessive
need to hug the right side of the lane, as opposed to staying in the
center?

I'd not saying your experience is not valid, but it's not at all
clear from what you've described why this would be the case. There's
probably something else that's going on if drivers feel the need to
hug the curb. It's just not clear to me what that is. Are the lanes
too narrow?

I guarantee that *some* of them do it because they just passed a guy
on a bicycle, and want to try ;-) and prevent him from passing them
back.