Old May 11th 06, 10:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Fun with bikes: Mechanics

Wrote:
Wotcher,

For my troubles (at the
"after party", as in "after some mechanical work") another mate
offered
me a Peugeot 12 speed (only 10 speed in its current life) from the
1980s which was less impressive, but my brother wants it done up as a
single speed, and is going to manually sand the frame back to bare
metal and wax it.

Awesome! I have a SS story from last night that I wanted to share but
wasn’t worth a new thread on its own..

Inbound on the Eastern Freeway trail, a MTB rider gives way to me as he
was turning onto the path. A few 100m later I take a glance to see if
he was coming my way - yep.. I can see his flashy pointing my way...
keeping a consistent speed I take another look... oOOo he's gaining..
I slowly ramp up the pace.. Knowing every little bump on this path I
wait for the next rise to get a decent jump away... That works he
drops back a little... I keep up the speed and give another effort on
the next hill... now he’s long gone, but still trying!

I stop at the Bulleen Rd (?) lights and he pulls up next to me and
puffs out "geez, you are moving on that thing!".. HAH, he was chasing
me!.. so my reply "yeah, I've only got one gear, so I've got to keep on
top of it".... ok, ok, the honest answer should have been "yeah, I saw
you coming, and I made sure you didn’t get close"..

We have a chat about the fair weather and I comment about no rain being
a good thing... we jostle for position crossing at the lights.. I win
that one too! Left him for dead up the 100m climb and I spin off
into the dark... then the rain starts while I'm chasing down a tri bike
rider on a boulie

cheers,
GPL

--