Old October 3rd 18, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Ghost Shifting

On 03/10/18 04:17, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 11:10:59 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
O.K., reality check. I was riding in with my son this morning, and
he had a sudden attack of ghost shifting or skipping of some sort.
I was watching his rear wheel (my usual position, hunkered down
behind him), and I didn't see chain skip.

IME, ghost shifting usually happens with a sticky cable at the BB,
but what is the likelihood that this is a casette/chain issue? I
changed the chain but not the cassette a month ago. It worked
beautifully -- no skipping, but I'm wondering if you can hit a
tipping point where the cassette goes and the chain is O.K., and
you get shift issues. If the cassette is too worn, I usually get
problems the moment I put on a new chain and not later.

-- Jay Beattie.

This isn't uncommon with Campy gear. You have to have, A. Perfect
alignment of the rear derailleur on the cassette and B. The shifting
ratchet cannot be overly worn.

Bull****.

--
JS