Old January 8th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
olduniman

Default Frustrations Learning to Ride: Mental Block and *Really* Sore Knees?

Your practice sessions of one hour or more sound rather long for a
beginner. There is a lot of tension associated with unicycling at the
start so you just may be pushing too hard. I had a lot of trouble with
knee pain early on, but raising the seat to the proper height made a big
difference. If you pedal standing up as much as possible, (that is, no
weight on the seat) and there is more than an inch or two of "crotch
clearance" your seat is probably too low. Do you need a longer seat
post?

I participated in a PhD student's physio research and came away with a
side-lying leg lift exercise I do three times a week. No knee pain since
then. There are lots of knee exercises on the net.

http://tinyurl.com/a3nes2

Regarding the mental block. My spouse who has 40+ years on you has a
similar problem. She can ride 200 ft beside a railing without touching
it but will not (cannot) get herself to go out into the abyss as she
calls it. When she rides beside me she uses me for support instead of
twisting the uni to ride into the direction she is falling. We are still
working on it after two years, but only ride every couple of weeks.
She'll beat it someday and so will you if you don't give up.

--
olduniman

+++++++++
Bob