Old November 27th 17, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default FLU

On 2017-11-26 12:11, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

These are ordinary city dwellers who actually ride and who
account for an appreciable share of traffic. They also do
super-gnarly weekend rides where they get to jump in puddles and
drink beer!

BTW, I was flying with my brother yesterday in one of his planes.
He doesn't work on that plane because it has a RR jet turbine
engine -- not something for the home mechanic.

No, and he must be super rich if that's just one of his planes.
Attorney?

Airline captain. His day job is flying Dreamliners. The second plane
is a Cessna 421. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_421 The turbo
prop is a modified Cessna 210. https://tinyurl.com/y9v5ctsl Both are
pressurized because he lives in Denver and frequently flies over the
Rockies with dogs -- rescuing them from various places. He buys used
planes, as do most plane owners.

That's usually a very high-paid job. The first owner of our house who
had it custom-built was a Pan Am pilot and that shows. Serious quality
and stuff that generally wasn't seen in the US in 1970 such as an indoor
barbecue alcove, radiant heat in the floors, phone outlet at the pool,
first attempts at structured wiring and so on. He also had a nice plane
with retractable gear to fly to his job.

[...]

Since when is Cameron Park "country living."

Since pretty much forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfqa_fXf-DE

Yes, and I can link to trails in Portland fifteen minutes by bike
from my high-rise, cement, steel and glass tower of urban decay and
sickness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu7494oIWcc&t=13s

Nice video. We have a long singletrack going right through the village
and connects to other bike path systems. Trails out here are a bit more
scenic, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38JzV-ueXI

What I am saying is that Cameron Park has a lot of country living. You
can buy 10-acre properties here with horse stables and all, plus ride
your horse or MTB onto a trial that runs right past your property.

We do not want to live in a high-rise. We want to be able to walk out
the front door and barbecue right there. Even in the driving rain under
a large overhang like we did with bread, ribs and sausages yesterday,
over a real wood fire (not store-bought charcoal). There is no way to
achieve that sort of taste with any indoor appliance. Try that on the
balcony of your high-rise and they'll send the goons out.

... Speaking
of Denver, it has an incredible system of paved and unpaved bike
lanes, although it is too far away from the Rockies for me. I'd
rather be in Golden or Boulder.

Hurricane in Utah would be an example of the largest size of community
I'd consider for a move.

... It's a f***** synthetic community built around a golf course
within commuting distance of SAC. It's a commuter suburb. It's
everything bad about land use and planning in California. It's a
virus. I'd be ashamed to live there. You should move to a real
town -- maybe Hurricane, UT or some other moonscape where the
rugged individuals know how to fix a flat!

Hurricane is precisely one of the areas on our radar for a
potential retirement move. St.George is too large for me but the
surrounding places are nice.

Hurricane is nice compared to the lunar surface. Zion is not close
enough. I'd live in SLC but for the winter smog -- from wood burning
stoves, among other things. The canyons are awesome for riding and
skiing.

There may be some place in the Southwest I'd consider -- but there is
no way I could acclimate to the Mesquite/Hurricane area. I could live
in a Sonoran desert but not a Nevada nuke site. I'm also not going to
live a zillion miles from an international airport. You're a
convenient drive to SAC. Wait until its four or five hours to a real
airport.

That doesn't matter anymore. Last year it happened for the first time
and this year for the second, where the number of business flights was
zero. I can consult and even modify drawings on other people's computers
thousands of miles away. I can even operate tools such as an
oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer sitting at the other ocean. If
something is really tricky and I need to work on a prototype myself
there is Fedex.

[...]

Portland is too rainy and cold for us. Also, when moving for
retirement I'll make 110% sure we won't get into another liberal
state. Which is why California would be out for that purpose and so
is Oregon. Now Idaho would be nice but too cold for my wife.

Alabama is for you. I'm not tied to Portland and expect to leave one
day, but I'm not moving to some **** hole with supposed
right-thinking people. Washington is income tax free. Live in White
Salmon and ski/ride on Hood.
http://www.blainefranger.com/blog/up..._HoodRiver.jpg

I have spend lots of time in WA state. Would be fine for me but too cold
for her.

PDX is an hour away, and I can cross the bridge and hang-out with the

hipsters in Hood River. And PDX is an hour away so my wife and I can
travel to some place warm when it gets dreary.

That what people in WA did a lot. When major purchases were contemplated
they borrowed or rented a truck nad headed to OR because no sales tax.
Even though it was a long ride from north Kirkland and other places of
Seattle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/