Old July 11th 18, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default drill/tap in frames

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 10:55:00 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:21:43 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

sms wrote:
:On 7/7/2018 7:27 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
: Are there any secrets to drilling holes in
: steel bike frames? I have a couple of discarded
: ones I can test on but I thought I'd
: ask anyway.
:
: Do you use normal power hand tools like
: a drill-screwdriver and/or a drill press (if
: possible with the desired bolt position)?
:
: Do the normal rules apply, e.g. to get
: a threaded hole for an M6, you first drill with
: a 5.0mm drill?
:
: And you can use chainsaw oil, right?

:As Jobst Brandt stated: "I don't know many riders who believe that
:drilling a hole in a frame tube is a reasonable concept."

Who cares what riders think, what do the egineers do?

Jobst Brandt was a mechanical engineer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobst_Brandt

What's an egineer?

One might comment that a fairly large number of bridges, that
subsequently fell down, were designed by the engineers of the times
:-)
--

Cheers,

John B.