Old March 11th 19, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default The death of rim brakes?

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 07:13:52 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 3/11/19 1:10 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

snip

Well, the rim brakes on my various bikes are the ones that were used for
_every_ case since 1976. The only brake failure I ever experienced was
before them, on my first super-cheap 10 speed with chrome steel rims,
during a pouring thunderstorm. I had to overshoot the turn I was
planning to make.

I don't care if people prefer discs. But it bothers me when
manufacturers or others start implying that rim brakes are inadequate
for even ordinary riding.

Why did we ever move away from chromed steel rims? Cheap and easy to
manufacture, lasted for ever (you still see them about!) and looked great!

And you had to drag your feet to stop :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.