Old April 28th 12, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Who still makes non-compact frame road bikes?

On 4/27/2012 1:47 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:08 pm, wrote:
On 4/27/2012 9:48 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:

In , wrote:

I told him to go with a Habanero titanium with Shimano 105.

Habanero is the obvious choice, and one can still purchase them without the
arguably-silly threadless headsets.

That's true, but since the threaded forks and headsets have become
almost a boutique item, it now costs more for threaded. A threaded
headset and fork are preferable of course, but I don't think he'd pay
two hundred dollars more for it. You can correct the biggest problem
with threadless headsets with some after-market devices, i.e. see
http://www.octagoncycles.com/ and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oQYbZeQW0M.

For his riding, the Surly Pacer would be ideal, and still about $600
less than the Habanero even once he had the crankset changed to a triple.

I wonder if any of those stems will break where the holes are? This is
also not a good place to have any problems with a quick release coming
loose. I hope they used a close cam quick release.

Various versions of those have been around for many probably ten years
and I've never heard of any problems with them. Of course there probably
were not millions sold.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V5GLHY
http://www.speedlifter.com