Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 12:29:00 AM UTC, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

--
JS

Is there a power rating? 100 lux at 10 meters, as the STVZO test requires, is exceedingly bright. I'm hesitant to state they "must" be drawing at least so much power, but my gut feeling is that its in a range that a single LED can't handle.
Anyone can rate a light without stating the distance. My single LED 325 lumen measures 33 lux at 10, 500+ lumen measures 50 lux, and the best of the others on the market, such as Supernova's 205 lm that's standard equipment on many e-bikes, measure 25 lux at 10 meters, at most.

If you're old enough to remember when the Volkswagen Beetle had 6V lamps, that's the amount of light you get from the better BUMM lamps like the CYO series, though some of that power is wasted in hotspots that are the particular bugbear of the BUMM lamps for most of the people I know who use them, mostly tourers. As you can read elsewhere, I'm also unimpressed with the concentration of the light on a horizon that is well outside the reaction range, while stinting near field peripheral light which is much more important to many cyclists. In a single sentence: BUMM lamps, except to the passionate BUMMbuddies, have adequate since the first series CYO rather than sufficient. The fact that a choice has to be made between long throw and peripheral throw supports your thesis by suggesting that BUMM are pushing the limits of the current (and any foreseeable, because the German law limits them too) bicycle dynamos. BUMM has a battery lamp that produces 150 lux (claimed -- I haven't actually had my hands on the thing) and they used to sell an offroad battery lamp, 600 lumens, that made so much light that I would happily have put it on my Porsche in my rallying days, but today would get you arrested almost anywhere in Europe. When I borrowed one for a week, I discovered it also put out enough heat to keep your hands warm in winter, so there might be more light to be harvested from BUMMs reflector model by intelligent development.

You might also want to discount anything you hear from idiots like Krygowski by the observable difference between an E-marked lamp on say a BMW and its American-approved and much dimmer version. Americans are used to, and expect, less light on the road than Europeans. Of course, the same applies in reverse: anything you hear from Europeans starts from a higher expectation of their lamps than Americans express. Personally, I'd be happy behind a bank of boss Cibies or with swivelling lamps (from Cibie, where else?) such as I was used to on my fave Citroen SM (a big GT with a Maserati engine and Citroen suspension; the swiveling lamps were of course banned in the US) in which through the night I'd average better than a ton all the way from the Forest of Devres where I then lived through France and down the spine of Italy, because I could see where I was going, and arrive at Nardo in the morning without a screaming migraine from eye-stress, ready to work. I was reminded of this when I read on another forum of the migraines the hotspots in his BUMM lamps give a bicycle tourer who likes riding through the night.

Andre Jute
Oh, to see, to see, and be safe -- why, I could go 5kph faster if I could only see where I'm going
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home