Old July 7th 06, 03:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.tech

Default the Shimano 10sp/9sp alloy freehub problem again - a solution!

jim beam wrote:
Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
jim beam wrote:

Bleve wrote:

Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
particular interest.

*but*

He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galler.../DSCF6994.html

We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
freehubs.

a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load. they need to
address the problem properly like shimano did - make the teeth deeper
or use a steel/ti cassette body. have them do the math on the
body. aluminum's just not strong enough - as if that's not already
evident.

Not a radial shim... an axial shim.

but to fit between an existing cassette body and cog set, it would have
to be thin like foil and therefore not much use, right?

They're not very thick, but not foil. When I get some, I'll photograph
them and put them up for you to see.