Old June 8th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Toronto Cyclists Form Union

In article ,
Jorg Lueke writes:

=93Toronto was way ahead 10 to 15 years ago and it fell way behind
Vancouver,=94 says bike-union coordinator Rick Conroy. =93Vancouver has
put a lot more thought, care, and money into their bike lanes in
recent years.=94

We really don't have that many bike /lanes/ per se here
in Vancouver. What we do have is a network of bike /routes/,
which are shared streets, enhanced with cyclist-friendly
amenities. There are, of course, some true bike lanes, as
well as a couple of bike boxes w/ advanced stop lines.
Lots of "No Left Turn (Except Bicycles)" signs.

A few previous civic governments deserve all the credit
for that. Unfortunately, our current City Hall is not
so progressive, and appears to be prepared to undermine
all the work that has already been accomplished.

As for cycling-friendly North American cities, look to
Victoria, BC. That's practically the Amsterdam of North
America. But so many USA'ans don't even know it exists.
Neither do a lot of inlander Canadians.

I like it like that. It keeps the riff-raff out.

And y'know what? Toronto was never ahead of Vancouver
in terms of anything.

cheers,
Tom

--