Old July 25th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Robert Norton

Default hands-off road test

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
Norman considered Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:38:56
-0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Jul 17, 5:10 pm, "Robert Norton" wrote:
Test-riding a used Dawes Galaxy tourer today I found it was difficult /
impossible to ride with hands off. Frame did not seem to be out of line.
Head bearing was not stiff. A 2008 model it had the modern frame
geometry
with slightly slanting top tube. It wasn't that it pulled to one side;
it
was just very dicky and could swerve to either side.

Not that I have any real idea, but cruddy tires
(particularly ones with sharp centre ridges)
can make no-hands challenging.

Bicycles that have been in front-enders can
exhibit poor behaviour a swell.

Yes, even if everything appears straight, the trail may be changed by
a front-ender. The only way to be sure is to measure it on a jig.

Thanks, guys. I'm sticking with my ten year old Dawes which rides perfectly.
I've taken off the drops . got straight bars now with new V brakes and sti
shifters . It's now a far better and more efficient tourer. I fitted "bull
horns" but instead of having them on the bar ends put them on the inside of
the grips, beside the brake levers, where they give a comfortable grip.
What about todays Tour stage on the Ventoux? Magic or what!
Rob