Old December 17th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default learn by destroying

On 12/17/2017 9:29 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 11:46:11 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I've never really found a place where a plastic faced hammer really
fit. If you are just trying to get the damned thing apart a 2 lb steel
hammer works nicely. If you don't want to make sparks then the brass
hammer is nice.

Wazza for da plastic :-)

I mostly use a plastic face hammer mostly for banging on painted
surfaces. In the bad old days of early IBM PC clones (1980's), the
sheet metal cases were badly made and barely fit together. A plastic
hammer was quite handy for assembling or disassembling the case with a
minimum of damage to the paint. Of course, I never used it if there
was a hard disk drive installed, which could not tolerated the
pounding. I've also used it for banging on stuck air and water
valves, rusted components, tubular display tents, and cracking the
case on solvent welded or CA glued power supplies.

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."