Old April 19th 18, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default today's ride

On 2018-04-19 15:14, James wrote:
On 20/04/18 02:36, dave wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 07:59:12 -0700, Joerg wrote:

I get almost 1/2h of evap cooling out of my cotton T-shirts. That is
usually enough to get to the next lake, creek or other water source.

My lycra skin suit dries far quicker than 1/2h of riding. More like 5-10
minutes.

That's exactly what one does not want for evap cooling. Cotton provides
enough of a reservoir to keep evaporating and thus cooling my body for
half an hour. On hot days I wear the slightly thicker version T-shirts
for that reason.

I suspect the cotton retains more of the moisture rather than wicking it
away and evaporating it. The aim is not to stay wet but be cooled by the
evaporation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linen

Facinating stuff. Never knew it had such a long history of usage.

If only it was elastic!

Yup :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-6XEzhqaCE

Someone here once said that the inventor of Lycra deserves a Nobel prize.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/