Old October 26th 06, 04:11 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Peter Clinch

Default "A Bicycle Shop" (163 w22nd st) totally full of sh!t

NYC XYZ wrote:

WHAT?!?!

How come???

Aside from the "why" is a definte "what", and that is that levels have
been measured higher inside the cars.

I mean, sure, once it gets in, it's likely to stay in, but again,
unless we're talking major gridlock right behind an old Soviet-era
Trabant or Yugo, I wonder why.

The air as a whole around an urban street won't change much just because
you're driving through it quicker. It's basically the same air and cars
aren't gas tight. They'll slow down rates of gas movement, but that
applies to going out as well as coming in. And bikes aren't generating
their own nearby cloud.

Semantics. I doubt it's really the "same" air. Sure, oxygen is
oxygen, but overall that filter must count for something!

It's the same air. Filters remove particulates, not noxious gases.

Right, with enough drops you have a deluge. In the here and now, I
don't think most people ride for the environment, and I don't think
it's possible to ride for something so abstract as "the environment."
The whole point of cycling is the visceral joy of it all.

While many of us enjoy it, the primary reason in many cases is to get
where we're going quickly, cheaply, efficiently and healthily.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK