Old November 17th 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain Lube?

On 11/17/2018 3:25 PM, sms wrote:

It now appears that people that use wax also add
oil to the mixture because wax alone doesn't last very long. Perhaps in
the future they'll decide that the oil alone is sufficient. But probably
not. Tradition. It's like people that still change their car's oil every
3000 miles. It's just not possible to make them understand that it does
not provide any advantage. It's called "recreational oil changing" just
as waxing a chain is called "recreational chain waxing."

How often do you clean and re-lubricate your chain? How long does it take?

How often do you clean the black junk off your rear cogs? And the
derailleur jockey pulleys? and the chainrings and front derailleur and
frame? And what do you do to keep chain grease off your non-cycling
clothing?

Give us details, please.

For me, I re-wax the chain while it's on the bike. It takes maybe ten
minutes and lasts maybe 500 miles, as a guess. I essentially never clean
my rear cluster because it doesn't get black gunk all over it. Ditto the
derailleur pulleys, chainrings, etc. If I really want to shine things
up, I may wipe some of those bits with a couple paper towels.

I never clean the black stuff off my chainstays, dropouts, etc. because
there isn't any black stuff. I clean my bikes typically once per year,
yet they don't look dirty. (Most of the cleaning is literally dusting,
including using Pledge wax.)

I never had to worry about riding to work in khaki trousers. If they
brushed against the chain at its dirtiest, the smudge would be barely
visible.

Counting all the above work, I _very_ much doubt your chain-related
cleaning and maintenance takes less time than mine.

Really, the main reason you think you know so much about wax chain
lubrication disadvantages is this: You don't use it.

--
- Frank Krygowski