Old March 18th 19, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 2019-03-18 13:57, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 3:32:49 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped

I was sold on disc brakes after about five seconds of use. When I
almost flew over the handlebar of my new MTB during a test ride in
the LBS parking lot, despite having pulled the handle with just two
fingers. The rear of the MTB actually bucked upwards. It felt like
having power-assist brakes. Woohoo!

Snipped

I do. Should I ever need a new road bike it will have discs or I
won't buy.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Back around 1982 I bought a Velo Sport Columbus SL Dura Ace AX
equipped bicycle and on the ride home was getting squeezed into
parked cars by a streetcar because the road was narrowing quite a
bit. I hit the brakes and the rear wheel lifted quite a bit before I
released the front brake lever and hit the brakes again. That was
with the AX caliper brake. I've always loved the braking of those
brakes.

Now try the same on a rainy day. Yeah, a rim brake can still lift the
rear but it could be 1-2sec too late. I don't want that.