Old May 11th 05, 11:29 PM
Steph Peters

David Martin of The University, Dundee, DD1
4HN, Scotland, UK. wrote:
I will admit, in moments of delusion, to planning out a route for riding to
the York rally at audax pace (faster than 15km/h overall). This has to be
complete madness because:

1. the furthest I have ridden this year is 110km.
2. I plan to ride a 240km ride two weeks beforehand and have done minimal
training (allotment and boat have taken up most of my spare time)
3. I would be doing it on the roadised MTB with camping gear
4. it is about 450km+
5. The prevailing wind is againsterly

Ho hum

And I will admit to going so far as to look up the distance to York (70
miles or 113km), thinking I could do that in two days, ignoring the slight
matter of the Pennines, my total inability to climb hills, not to mention
lack of camping gear. The distinctly more serious option is to drive to a
friend's house and cycle from either Leeds (24 miles) or Malton (19 miles),
depending on which friend. Almost certainly won't happen though. And if it
does, it won't be at Audax pace - don't even go that fast on the computer,
never mind in elapsed real time.

Still, Sunday did exceed 2004's personal best ride.
--
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.
Frank Leahy