Old July 27th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default New bike for Jay

On 7/27/2017 9:39 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

rotors work.

Hmmm. My tandem had two cantis, and my wife and I weighed over 300 lbs. We never had problems stopping, although I did overheat the rims once coming down Rocky Point.

For touring in mountainous locations, on tandems, the common solution
was an Arai drum brake in the rear wheel set up with a drag control,
often a 3 speed twist grip. I had a spare wheel with the drum brake,
sold by Trek, but I think I only used it once. It was ridiculously
heavy. With the advent of disc brakes, it's not necessary anymore and
the Arai drum brake has been discontinued.
http://www.precisiontandems.com/arai.htm.