Old August 14th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-12 19:05, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:02:42 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

I am a tad heavier but I have no problem lifting a bike and myself over
a regular cattle fence.

A hundred and sixty pounds of downward pressure on a wire designed to
resist in an entirely different direction, and to share the load with
a bunch of other wires . . . well, it's extremely rude to do it even
if the damage isn't immediately apparent.

Well, I don't step on fence wire.

But the boundary-marker fences you describe don't sound like much more
impediment than a curb.

Still you've got to lift the bike across. With a MTB you could simply
keep riding and flatten it but that would be rude.

It would have been smart on the part of the planners to notice that this
is the only reasonable path for cyclists and hikers to get from one town
into the other and leave a small slot. Unforntunately most planners
aren't very smart.

Perhaps less than a railroad. I've been known to get to the Crazy Egg
by taking a footpath from 100 N into their parking lot. Ballast is
not easy to walk on.

That I don't understand. What ballast were you walking on?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/