Old August 28th 15, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Danger! Danger!

I stopped at a garage sale on the way to the tomato festival, and I
filled up my cooler at the festival, so when I stopped at Aldi's on
the way home, I had to take some back-up bungees out of storage to get
all my groceries attached.

After everything was battened down, I noticed a tag fluttering from
one of the new bungees and ripped it off.

It reads:

---------------------

Stretch cord carefully. Uncontrolled release can cause severe injury
to unprotected body parts, particularly eyes.

Maximum stretch-length 50% of unstretched cord. Overstretching cord
can cause hook failure, resulting in sudden, uncontrolled release.
Wear safety glasses when attaching and releasing.

Man, I don't even *own* a pair of safety glasses! What a daredevil
I've been all these years.

Note that it never mentioned the danger in failing to attach all
hooks. A dangling bungee can catch in your spokes, which will wreck
the bungee, wreck the wheel, or send you over the handlebars.

--
`joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/