Old February 10th 05, 07:29 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
G.T. wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

The magnesium lowers of my 2003 Manitou Skareb Comp had begun to crack

last

year, about 6 months before I stopped riding it. I've kept it stashed

away

for a while until today, when I was cleaning my room and found the

lowers.

I gave the legs a light (maybe 2.5-4lb) squeeze, and they snapped.

Although

I didn't mean to snap them, they lent some interesting insight into

their

failure.

snip extensive research

Dude, way too much analytical time on your hands! You forgot to do a
gas chromatograph test on the magnesium dust. That should give you the
exact compound ingredients.

If that happened to me, I wouldn't waste time analyzing it. I'd just
buy a new fork and ride.

That's a pretty lackadaisical attititude towards something as important
as a
front fork. I quit working at Answer when they had two rounds of recalls
around 1994. I saw a couple of pictures of riders' faces after their
forks
catastrophically failed. They weren't pretty.

GT

Why is it "lackadaisical"? Because I would rather ride than figuring out
what to do with an obviously busted fork? I didn't say go and buy another
Manitou.

I'm a mechanical engineering student. The post was written more for
rec.bike.tech, but I guess I won't lose the group next time with my techno
babble.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training