Old February 4th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Airless Tires? And How Heavy Is "Heavy"?

NYC XYZ wrote:

Thanks for turning me onto this latest must-have item! =) So that
Schwalbe Marathon Plus sounds like the thing to get to avoid
punctures...but how heavy is "heavy," really?

I used the 700x38 version of those tires, and they are about twice as
heavy as the lightest tires I have used in that size range.

http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?ber...31&details=226

I _love_ Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, but I have had some problems
with them blowing off my rims at modest amounts over the sidewall
rating. I have also had one sidewall herniate at the rated pressure
with less than 20 miles on the tire.

That's the bad news. The good news is that they not only prevent
punctures, but the tread's "chewy center" offers a cushy ride even when
the casing is inflated very hard. It makes a tremendous positive
difference in ride quality.

I wish my bikes could accomodate the 700x47 size.

Chalo Colina