Old September 23rd 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle

Default Cement for Rubber?

"AMuzi" wrote in message
Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
The bike rack on my wife's car has its jaws lined with strips of
rubber -- pretty much inner tube rubber. The cement holding them in
place came loose early one. I've tried to re-cement them using
contact cement, but that didn't hold well. Does anyone know what's a
good way to get rubber to stick to painted steel?

Tubular cement if you have it handy, otherwise 3M FasTack auto body
trim adhesive is perfect for that application.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I would go with the 3M adhesive. Their VHB stuff will stick to just
about anything, but Mcmaster only has the Grey. Which would probably
work.
its tensile strength is about 100lb/in. Clean and wipe the surface to be
bonded with alcohol to prepare it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3m-vhb-tape/=8z39ju

Cheers