Old January 19th 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-18 14:10, James wrote:
On 19/01/17 02:51, Joerg wrote:

This is why I carry dextrose tablets in my first aid kit. So far I
never needed one of those myself but others did.

Wow. Dextrose tablets for others, but no chain breaker tool, instead
preferring rocks and fencing wire to fix the broken chains.

The reasoning is simple. Rocks and wire can easily be found in the
wilderness. Dextrose tablets can't be. A friend and I once came upon a
guy who had simply walked off the trail and dropped. After waking him
which took a long time he was prety much catatonic. Luckily we noticed
him. I don't know if he would have made the long trek out if we didn't
have ample water and dextrose to pump into him.

I guess it is more practical for me to be able to fix a chain and still
be able to ride. I have never been so hunger flat that I cannot turn
the pedals at all.

Yeah, but you might come upon other people who are. If you never venture
far into the wilderness you may never encounter that situation and are
probably unaware of how dangerous it can be. No cell phone signal, no
roads, no nothing, just the relentlessly scorching sun and lots of miles
to get yourself and the victim out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/