Old January 19th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 7:36:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg
On 2017-01-17 15:26, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
analog,

I will not explain tire mounting again. Retard at your
own speed

I have explained to you that these are _flat_ rims.
Hard to
understand?

The Argent rim is just a Mod E2. Right?

Mine are Mavic Module ā€œ3ā€ Argent ā€œDā€. Almost flat
inside.

http://equusbicycle.com/bike/mavic/images/11and12.jpg
Pretty
standard rim of the era. Get VAR lever. It lifts the bead
over the
rim. Your problems will be solved. Getting another tire
or rim will
also solve your problems. Most people will not wrestle
with a tire
for a half-an-hour, at least not more than once.

I have broken many high quality levers on those and bike
shop owners have confirmed that issue. When they say "Good
luck getting them on" you know what you are up to.

The thick tubes I have do not exactly help in keeping the
bead towards the center but I made myself Delrin pieces to
do that. The relief that this provides is very limited
though, as evidenced by the fact that even with thin tubes
Gatorskins are really hard to mount onto these rims.

Fact is, the Vredestein tires always went on with ease and
the Gatorskin tires do not. Huge difference. However, the
Vredesteins had too many flats. So, I am looking for a tire
that is very puncture-resistant, has sturdy side walls _and_
is easy to mount. Eventually I will find one and then buy a
stack of them. Just like I did for the MTB where I found
three brands that work well.

That's a known deficient design with hardly any drop
between the bead
seats and the center well. Not only those Mavic, but Trek
copied it for
some all-time-lousy rims under their Bontrager brand. Very
hard to
mount/remove tires; Joerg is not making that up.

The weird phenomenon is that in the olden days all tires fit
fine. All of them. I put north of 50k miles on that bike
just in the 80's and used up rear tires as if they were
popcorn. All kinds of brands but mostly Vredestein. The
beads went on with ease, in minutes. Now some tires seem to
be subpar in bead diameter tolerance. For example,
Gatorskins take over an hour to wrestle them on (with breaks
because the thumbs hurt so much). Once they have been on
there for a while it becomes easier to take them off and put
them back on. How much easier depends on the time they've
been on the rim, not how many times they were mounted or how
many miles were ridden. That seems to indicate that the
beads stretch while on there.

Sometimes things really were better in the good old days. I
realized that again just now when re-working a wine fridge.
The design and the workmanship was, in part, rather messed
up. That somehow rarely happened in the 50's (we have a
Bosch fridge from 1956, still running great).

The good old days were sometimes but mostly not.

Anyone who wrestled tires to seat on undersized steel rims all day long
[1] will have a different view from yours. That process involves tedium,
muscle and the occasional chunks of rubber in the eye after a loud bang.
Sharp edges, swarf and slag from seam welds were very common when steel
rims were the norm, in all brands. Even on good rims, oversized Pirelli
and Carideng cotton tires blew off frequently. Then French bikes with
spokes sticking through the nipples. I could go on.

[1] I'm thinking here of several batches of off-spec Schwinn EA1
chromed rims.

That sounds horrid. I must have been very lucky while living in Europe.
My current and back then expensive custom bike was only used for
longhaul rides and only if the theft risk was low. Meaning never for
rides into Aachen, Maastricht or other large cities. For that, regular
commutes and also my whole time at highschool I used "beater bikes".
Cheap department store road bikes, steel rims, none of them of a value
when new than what around $150 would nowadays buy. Yet I never had any
issues with tires and rims. I generally use the cheapest tires I could
find in order not to cause a dent in more important budgets such as the
ones for dates and for beer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/