Old October 11th 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Finally shifted the seized seat post.

"Tosspot" wrote in message
On 10/10/17 22:56, Ian Field wrote:

"Doug Landau" wrote in message

had to replace the saddle, so I put a few dabs of flour-emery
powder on
the
seat clamp. There was enough grip that I could get hold of the
saddle and
twist the post out.

Now re assembled with copper slip anti seize compound.

Nice! But copper?

Copper based anti-seize paste is what they have on the shelves round
here. I
have a tub of something based on a silvery colour metal, but I
generally buy
more Copperslip when it gets used up.

molybdenum is a "friction modifier" - I had to do the clamp bolt up
seriously tight with just the copper stuff on it.

This reply does not address the validity - or lack thereof - of the
alleged theory of operation of anti-sieze compounds, which says that the
metal used therein should match the metal which is having a corrosion
problem, so as to be taken up by the reaction and thus spare or
partially spare the coated part.

Translation please...................

Yer grease goes manky not yer seat post.

Hardened old grease wouldn't been as difficult as the corrosion on the frame
I rescued from a hedge.

Marine grade prop shaft grease would beat the weather - but Coppaslip is
easier to get this far from a coast.