Old November 15th 17, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 12:37:35 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-13 15:50, John B. wrote:
Seriously? California cyclists can't fix a flat tire?

Most can but they won't. I'd hoped it had become clear by now that
this is a commonly used excuse, not an admittance of incompetence.

There are many people who can't fix a flat bike tire. It's sad but true,
and it's not going to get any better.

The denizens of this group tend to be people who love bikes and are at
least reasonably competent with tools. But as I've described in the
past, I've done simple bike repairs for otherwise very intelligent
people (including engineering PhDs) who were baffled by the simplest
mechanical things.

A lot of folks are scared to break something expensive. Many simply
aren't used to do anything manual on any vehicle or other technical
equipment. Their only tools for fixing stuff are the yellow pages, the
Internet and their smart phone.

They just don't want to ride.

This is true. Again, we're an unusual group. If you gave every American
a perfectly safe, absolutely level, completely separated bike path
directly from their house to their favorite grocery store one mile away,
I doubt more than 3% would ride bikes to shop.

They would if you gave them an E-bike with a throttle-only mode. And if
it had an A/C button.

I know you don't believe it but I know it for a fact that there is a
number of people who will ride when there is a bike path. It may be only
1-3% but for America that is a lot and as you wrote yourself that alone
presents a tremendous cost savings for our health care network.

Democracy in action? Spending the tax payer's money to build something
for 1% of the population?
--
Cheers,

John B.