Old December 29th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Default need hill climbing advice

dtecum;1159831 wrote:
It is much easier to go up a hill by going from side to side. Why bother
stressing out the legs and lungs. The first guy I ever saw on a uni went
from side to side and by the time he arrived at the top he said he felt
fine. ANY hill can be conquered by riding side to side. I think sailors
call it tacking!!

I think there might be more energy lost in the act of turning than in
just driving straight on up the middle of the sucker. Especially on a
Coker-type uni, tacking up into a steep hill and back across to the
other diagonal is brutal. As mentioned, if a hill gets steep, you hold
on tight and jump hard (i.e. more than your weight) on the uni's front
pedal.

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a 'few uni race write-ups'
(http://home.roadrunner.com/~rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)