Old March 31st 14, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Frame design influenced by riding positon?

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:14:03 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Read somewhere recently that riding upright is more efficient than riding bent over but riding bent over is better in the wind or at speeds where perceived wind is a factor due to the force exerted upon a less aerodynamic upright riding position. That got me to wondering. Are bicycle frame designs influenced much by the intended riding position?

1. There is a third consideration, right? In addition to wind resistance and efficiency, there is also ease of breathing, I think, at least for those of us with a belly. I can't hang out on the drops right now cuz I can't breathe! :-(

2. Would handlebar design not have much more to do with riding position than frame design? Old fashioned swept-back bars meet the hands much better and more naturally than a straight bar, right? Yet with the advent of mtn bikes, the former were dropped for the latter. Yielding momentarily to the temptation to put words in Jobst's mouth, I think he would say that this is for economic reasons, straight bars being both easier to manufacture and better selling due to their resemblance to what is being raced. And this trend has done a significant disservice to most of the world's cycling population - all of 'em except mtn bike racers and road riders.

Since the bars are, once fixed to the frame, experienced by the rider as having become a part of the frame itself, I think the answer to the question is a resounding no.

dkl