Old March 16th 05, 01:52 PM
Peter Cole

kramer wrote:
I was thinking
about getting myself a bike, but I am lost as to what to get. I am

hoping
for some recommendations based on the following probable use
characteristics:

I live in Portland, OR and we do have hills....

I will be riding on the street/sidewalk/hard trail most likely 80-90%

of the
time, but may venture a little more off-road once in a while.

I want something 'light'

I would like to stay under $500.

I think Disk brakes are cool, but do I need them????

I like to go fast, but comfort is also important....

You're going to have to decide between a mountain bike, a hybrid or a
road bike variant.

In your price range (remember to budget for accessories), I don't think
there's much in road bikes. Off-road can be so diffent from road
riding, if you get into true single track. A mountain bike (even entry
level) can be used there and on the street. A hybrid is the ultimate
compromise bike, adequate at most things, not great at any.

It's hard to know when you're just starting out what kind of riding
you'll do, or even whether you'll stick with it. If I could only have
one bike (I have 5), I'd go with a mountain bike, because it's the only
bike that can do all the things I like to do.

You don't need disk brakes.