Old January 26th 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Electric bike question please

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 23:15:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 11:02:28 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/24/2018 1:55 PM,
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 11:18:40 PM UTC+1, Bob Newman wrote:
I ride a road bike usually twice a week, usually 30-40 miles each. I used to ride (not average) about 15-16 mph. Due to a few health problems + hitting my 70th birthday I'm down to 13-14 mph and I'm terrible on hills (Florida hills). I'm considering getting an electric assist for my road bike by replacing the rear wheel with the assist, the battery would go in my water bottle holder. I would like it to assist me to get back to my 15-16 speed or close to it.

Opinions please. Would this be a doable solution?

Thanks in advance... Bob

Beside that you increase the weight of your nice road bike with 3-4 kg what is the importance of adding an 'artificial' 2 mph to your average speed at your age? Just out of curiosity.

I have a couple friends, club members for 20+ years, who are now having
trouble keeping up on club social rides. Since these rides are their
favorite social activity, they'd probably enjoy the assistance.

I suspect we'll all get there someday.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I understand that in group rides to keep up with the rest, but riding alone?

Lou

Well, I do find that I have no problem "keeping up" when riding alone
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.