Old September 3rd 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

Default what size is a typical axle nut?

On 3 Sep, 01:47, Chalo wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. *I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *

Like landotter says, it's most likely 15mm. *The only bikes with
nutted axles of other sizes I see anymore are ancient specimens with
14mm front nuts, or 9/16" rear and 1/2" front, etc. *There have been
some not-ancient BMX bikes with 17mm nuts on 3/8" axles, but these are
uncommon.

Lots of relatively nice bikes are coming with M9x1 and M10x1 track
nuts these days, because they are ersatz "track" bikes or their single-
speed cousins.

Chalo

Also 0.6" which is a little over 15mm, a loose 15mm ring spanner will
do the job here. A flat ring spanner seems best to carry for axle
nuts.