Old December 20th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeremy Parker

Default Equestrian helmets as bicycle helmets?

I would suspect that equestrian helmets are designed with even less
contact with reality than are bike helmets. However, the British
Horse Society might give better information than mine.

Everybody wants bike helmets with stylish looks, so that's where the
design effort goes. All bike helmets meet the same standards - well
there's a US standard, and a Euro standard, but they are similar.
All the factors that people want, stylishness, coolness, light
weight, etc work towards the opposite of safety, so, presumably, the
"better" (and more expensive) a helmet is, the less safety it
provides.

If a helmet meets only one of the two standards, it must be really
close to the margin.

It has now been discovered that the Styrofoam in a helmet has to be
so stiff to meet the standards, that it tends to never crush at all
to decelerate the head slowly. Rather it's the skull that deforms,
thanks, presumably, to Darwinism at work.

[actually, it was discovered a couple of decades ago, but lay hidden
in a US gov't file, until revealed by a Freedom of Information Act
request]

I hope the stylish looks of your helmet impress everybody when you
finally get it

Jeremy Parker

wrote in message
Hello,

Have any of you cyclists used equestrian helmets as bicycle
helmets?

Heres' a link that has some equestrian helmets;
http://www.troxelhelmets.com/

I'm really impressed with their stylish looks. However, I wonder if
their skull-protection equal is to bike helmets?

Does anybody know?

Regards,
Cullen