Old April 17th 13, 10:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Statisitics

In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Mar 26, 10:55Â*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Mar 26, 6:51 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Mar 26, 6:45 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

I am told that in some US states, you can treat the light as though it
were broken -- but not here in Oregon.http://bikeportland.org/2011/03/11/s...blems-wash-co-...

This failure of a sensor or induction loop is usually in the turn
lane, and what you're supposed to do is act like a pedestrian -- go to
the nearest curb and use the cross-walk button. Â*But even that
requires you to break the traffic laws if you are pinned in the left
turn lane. Â*You have to go back across on-coming traffic to get to a
curb. Â*Might as well just turn. Â*This really does need to be addressed
in the UVC.

The Ohio Bicycle Federation has a proposal to change the law so as to
specifically treat non-detection as a defective signal. Â*As of a few
days ago, we're pretty sure we've got one lawmaker as a sponsor, and a
couple more looking at co-sponsoring. Â*But yes, that needs to be in
the UVC.

I've had a left turn signal fail to detect my motorcycle. Â*In a way,
it's even more of a problem, since I can't shuffle the motorcycle
around or lie it down over the sensor to better affect the loop.

Last fall, in my car, I was in a line of cars behind a tractor trailer
rig that couldn't trigger a light. Â*Cross traffic was heavy, and we
waited for nearly five minutes before the truck driver got enough
clear space to proceed. Â*As soon as the following car hit the loop
sensor, the light changed. Â*Apparently the truck's metal was too high
to affect the sensing field.

I know one guy who convinced his city's traffic crew to make up a test
rig - an aluminum 20" bike wheel mounted on a 2x4 - to use when
calibrating signals. Â*That really should be in the calibration manual,
and used every time a loop sensor is calibrated. Â*However, it won't
work for the newer camera-based systems. Â*For those, a bicyclist
silhouette is needed, I think.

Ohio DOT now has an email address devoted to the problem. Â*Ohio
cyclists can send email to Â*describing
the problem at the sensor. Â*They'll contact the responsible party to
get it adjusted. Â*I've not tried this myself (the ones I pass seem to
work well for me) but I've heard others have had good success. Â*Other
states should do something similar.

It's a lot less hassle to just ride across when it's clear.

Some people try to fix problems, some people don't.

Enough people quietly following a path create change.
You are too far up on your high horse to see this.

--
Michael Press