Old April 24th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Surly Long Haul Trucker: Anybody Over 6'5" Got One?

Per Jay Beattie:
If anyone can recommend a good bang for the buck XC bike (a hard tail
would be acceptable), let me know. Like I said, I'm 6'31/2" with a 34
inch inseam.

From what I gleaned from a conversation with one of the big
maker's reps, you might be right on the cusp of off-the-shelf.

I'm beyond it.

Actually I needed a bike as nice as the one shown like I needed
another hole in the head. If my wife ever finds out I spent
enough on a freaking bicycle frame to feed an entire Somali
village for two months I'm dead meat.

But the custom frame with an extra quarter of an inch here, an
inch there.... makes all the diff in the world.

I'd been through trying to shoehorn myself into a series of
off-the-shelf FS frames, but they never felt right.

That one feels *right*. If I'd just gone and blown the bucks on
it on day one I'd be ahead of the game dollarwise - but behind
the game in the ability to appreciate the diff between an
almost-fit and a real fit.

To your question, I had a Cannondale Jekyll that seemed pretty
good to me - with the added appeal of the lefty fork to the
exhibitionist in me. I also still have an Ellsworth Isis XL
that would probably fit you (not for sale...). Only caution I'd
offer up with Ellsworth is that you want to have a dealer to go
to bat for you in a warranty situation.
--
PeteCresswell