Old July 9th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Cassette change?

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:23:22 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
wrote:

I am easy on drive-train's. I get 6000 miles on chains without going over the limit on 11 speed shimano. My question is right now my cassette a 11-28 has some 16000 miles on it and works fine. No Skipping I am getting ready to put a new chain on pretty soon maybe another 1000 miles. Should I go ahead and swap out the cassette. My instincts tell me to just keep riding. If for some reason a new chain causes a skip then yes i need new cassette. The bike is Ultegra 6800 and shifts like a dream. I put a new cable on the rear today and was thinking maybe just order up a not only the chain but a new cassette. Cassette are a mystery on wear for sure.

What do all the minds in here think? It is not broke leave alone or just go new and be done for hopefully anther 16000 miles, not kilometres.

Deacon Mark

I believe that there is data to show that worn cassettes or chain
rings accelerate chain wear.
--
Cheers,

John B.