Old July 19th 20, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Adjusting brakes

On 2020-07-18 05:59, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
I am having a very hard time adjusting my rear brakes.

I have a mountain bike. Low end. :-)

If I adjust it to where it grabs the rim tightly, it slows my bike
down due to the resistance from the brake touching the rim.

It's very frustrating.

Thanks,
Andy

First off, does your rim run straight without dents ?

I have yet to see that on any well-ridden mountain bike, at least after
the first 100 miles :-)

Which is why I've always used steel rims. Aluminium can buckle so badly
that you only have one spoke to 'attempt' to straighten it, where as with
steel, there s usually four spoke you can fiddle with to reduce the
wobble.

It would be nice if I could get 29er steel rims. But it's ok, I do not
mind wheels slightly out of true. Even my road bike gets rim dings every
now and then. I true them out only when I feel like it (and that's not
very often).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/