Old July 30th 20, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Boston Cycling - You make the call

On 7/30/2020 9:02 AM, Bertrand wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left.Â* She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way.Â* Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a collision
not only with a left-turning car that you can't see, but also with
someone who decides at the last second to get out of that traffic and
turn right.Â* I probably would have approached that intersection at no
more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there?Â* Just wait in line
with the other vehicles?

Vehicular cyclists aren't a monolithic bunch, so the question becomes
"Approved by who?"

But I think most competent vehicular cyclists would pass that line of
traffic on the right, but at a much slower speed. Here are quotes from
Cycling Savvy, which I generally think is the best source:
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...he-left-cross/

"Passing a queue of cars on the right is a high risk activity, in most
cases. The above photo is the scene every day on Edgewater Drive at
lunchtime and rush hour (at lunchtime the parking spaces are full). My
first response to this situation was, “Oh good! they’re stuck and I have
a clear lane!” I was disabused of that notion by the front quarter panel
of a Jeep Cherokee.

"Between getting hit and other constant conflicts, I learned to ride
slowly (6-8mph) when passing the queued cars, and to be prepared to stop
any time there was a car-length gap between 2 cars."

And:

" If you are operating to the right of traffic (in a wide lane or bike
lane) and are being passed by a line of cars, be aware of any gaps. When
the last one passes you, any cars waiting to turn left will be ready to
jump. This can happen at any intersection or driveway."

--
- Frank Krygowski