Old March 13th 19, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 2019-03-10 06:34, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc
brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I
am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and
certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim
brakes a dead deal.

Disc brakes are simply better. Take a look around around automotive
and motorcycles. How many new cars and motorcycles are there that
still have drum brakes in front?

On Sunday I experienced the umpteenth reminder why rim brakes are
inferior. We had to cross some unpaved area on the road bikes and it
had rained. Muddy. Afterwards a descent on pavement, I reached in and
after the usual and expected one-second of zero brake action the rim
brakes came on. There was an awful grinding noise, you could literally
hear aluminum being eaten.

And yet, you survived. So did your rims.

I've heard that sound thousands of times. I've never had a crash or rim
failure as a result.

Failure in one day, no, I haven't heard that either. Failure over a
shorter-than-you'd expect span of months, I've experienced that
personally as have others on this NG.

Mark J.