Old March 13th 19, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 13/3/19 9:07 pm, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 13-03-19 02:46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I guess we could do a poll. How many here have had a road bike rim
fail by having the brakes eat through it?

Not me personally, because I check for rim wear now and again. However,
a friend did have a rim develop a crack along the circumference while
riding. He managed to get home by disconnecting the brake cable on that
wheel, but to me this still seems dangerous.

I had a new rim develop a crack around the circumference (middle of the
brake surface) that was about 40mm long. I noticed the lump lump lump
feeling whenever I applied the rear brake during a race. It was the
first time I had used that wheel.

After the race when I inspected the rim and found the crack, I rode the
bike home and swapped out the wheel.

--
JS