Old August 13th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

Default Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

In uk.rec.cycling wrote:

Chris Malcolm wrote:
In uk.rec.cycling Bill Sornson wrote:
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On 4 Aug 2006 12:21:52 -0700,
said in
.com:

It is indeed very complex,

You could hardly think otherwise. To do so would be to admit that you
have wasted your time and energy amassing a "library" of "data" on a
*very* trivial issue.

The fundamental weakness in your position is that I originally thought
it *was* simple until I actually studied it, prompted by others on the
cycling newsgroup.

IOW, peer pressure caused you to question your own common sense and sound
judgment.

Exactly. That's how science works, and the reason it is so much more
successful than common sense: it's a team effort.

No, not "exactly". The simple decision to wear or not wear a helmet is
not "science". It's really quite simple: "Assess, decide and ride". Why
do you seek to make a very simple decision complex?

As a scientist I've been trained to avoid taking decisions which are
simple and wrong.

--
Chris Malcolm
DoD #205