Old April 14th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
steve

Default Edge 305 & Calories

On Apr 14, 12:20 pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
steve wrote:
Edge 305 & Calories

My new Garmin Edge 305 calculates the calories I have supposedly used
during a ride. Knowing the calories and time I should be able to
estimate my wattage for the ride. However, when I do this I get more
that a Kilowatt. I rode for slightly less than 2 hours and used 1750
calories. If I really could generate over a kilowatt for an hour I'm
in the wrong business. I know about the Kcal vs cal issue but neither
answer makes sense.

I figure there are three possibilities.

1 - The 305 over estimates the calories used.

2 - The number is the calories to run the old bod + what ever I have
to generate for the ride. This still doesn't maker sense to me
because, if I remember right, the base rate for a person is about 200
watts and I don't believe I can generate 800 watts either.

3 - I'm missing something here

BTW does anyone know what algorithm the edge uses to calculate
calories?

Thanks
Steve G

Divide it by 4. That's your efficiency. In: 1000 Watts, out: 250 Watts.
Bummer....

Lou

Thanks

250 is about what I expected.