Old November 22nd 04, 04:48 PM
Peter Clinch

Pyromancer wrote:
I know this "road positioning" thing is the perceived wisdom, and for
cyclists who travel at speed it may well be true, but as I spend most
of my time at 12mph, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. On the few
occasions I have tried it, it generally results in lots of aggressive
revving of engines from the following traffic, horn blowing, and
suicidal overtaking, plus occasional deliberate attempts to run me off
the road.

I am a trundlie and mainly doing utility cycling, I'm not that fast,
especially not headed into the prevailing wind on the freight bike with
10+ Kg of shopping in the back.

There's position and there's position. If you're right in the middle of
the road you will be perceived as taking it all up, which a driver will
see as Being Wrong. But if you're far enough out from the kerb to
require Use Of Brain in overtaking then that's enough, and it doesn't
look like you're trying to deny a driver space (stupid concept, but it's
perception we're on about) so there's less aggro potential. If you try
and sit at about the typical left tyre track of most of the car traffic
(i.e., far enough out that the driver /has/ to manoeuvre to pass you)
then IME that works pretty well, at least around here.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK