Old August 24th 05, 09:03 PM
Jasper Janssen

Default Campagnolo Electronic

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:52:30 -0700, "Jay Beattie"
wrote:
"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

I think the real deal, long term, will probably be the Shimano

Nexus 8,
which has a reasonable range of gears and reasonable

performance for
less than one third the price of a Rohloff. The old 7-speed

version is
slightly cheaper again.

I would really consider one of these things if it had STI type
shifting or a shifter that was compatible with drop bars and if
it were quick release. The last thing I want to do during the
winter is stand around in the rain, wrenching on my real wheel so
I can fix a flat -- and I get a fair amount of flats in the rain
due to glass and the lubricating effect of rain water. And I
can't do a Tom Nakashima two-minute patch job because those
stick-um patches just don't stick in the rain. -- Jay Beattie.

Then you do need the Rohloff. But, seriously, you don't need to remove the
rear wheel for patching. Only for a replacement tube or tyre. Simply pull
the tube out on the non-drive side, and you've got more than enough room
to patch with whatever is your favourite poison. Just as easy as with the
wheel off, really.

Jasper