Old March 26th 07, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
cupra

Default Devon Coast to Coast By Train

Matt Freake wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experience of travelling to-and-from the
Devon-Coast-to-Coast by train. Some friends and I are thinking of
doing it and wondered how others have handled the start.

The start of the route is Ilfracombe, but the nearest station is 20
miles away (Barnstaple) albeit on the route. If you take a more direct
route to Ilfracombe it cuts it down to 13 miles. Is this shorter route
reasonably cycle-friendly, or is it better to stick to the official
route (and get a bit bored by having to do it twice :-)

Are there any other cunning options that people have discovered (buses
which take bikes, teleporters, that kind of thing)

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

I haven't cycled the roads but I do know them quite well.... which if the
direct route you're thinking of? (If it's the B3230 through Muddiford then
I'd steer clear due to the narrowness of the upper windy bits coupled with
the traffic you can enounter....)

You could always go down the Tarka trail to Braunton then head up the lanes
to West Down then on to Ilfracombe....