Old March 28th 14, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

It is relatively safe. 1.54 injuries per thousand exposures

for Mountainbiking vs between 10.6 and 19.8 for rugby. You are 10 times
(on average) more likely to be injured playing rugby than mountainbiking.

Edward Dolan wrote:

Who knows what is being counted as "exposures". Your statistic
aside, it is NOT safe. That is the bottom line, especially in view of my many
reports which show just how stupid most of the accidents are. In fact, it is
almost impossible to bike on a hiking trail and not have an accident. Your
statistic is irrelevant to what is being discussed here.

So, you are critiquing a report from the British Medical Journal as to whether their methodology on exposures is correct. This despite the fact that they have no axe to grind .. they just treat people who get injured.

Instead of reading a report on numbers, why not read some reports from doctors who have to treat these morons in the ER.

Then, in the next sentence, you're happy to reference completely unscientific anecdotal reports and put that up as a counter argument ? No wonder you keep losing the argument.

There is littlie to no science involved in any of this. However, there is some common sense involved. You should try it sometime.

The simple reality is that you're just plain wrong ... the vast majority of rides no one gets hurt or injured ... whether on singletrack trails or wider fire roads.

The simple reality is that almost everyone gets hurt, but maybe not bad enough for the ER. I have gone on hundreds of hikes and nary a scratch. I once tried to ride my bike on a hiking trail near Aspen, Colorado and nearly killed myself.

The reports you have deigned to provide are nowhere near the level

of being significant ... there are 50 million mountainbikers in the US alone and
the trail network is vast.

Who knows what the vast majority of those mountain bikers are
doing. Most of them are riding very sedate bike paths and streets no
doubt.

No, Ed, don't add in conjecture and expect me to treat it as anything other than your opinion. You don't know what the vast majority of riders are doing ... and, critically, you don't actually care either ... you're just flailing around again trying to justify an unjustifiable position.

You think all those 50 million mountain bikes are being used on hiking trails? Don’t be ridiculous. The vast majority of mountain bikes are being ridden on roads. Only a small minority of crazies ride their bikes on hiking trails.

Why do you think injury rates are quoted relative to amount of

activity ... as in Injuries per 1,000 exposures ? Nothing in this world is
'safe' as in ... there is no risk.

As I mentioned before, thousands die in their bathrooms and

falling down stairs ... not because it is "unsafe" to take a shower or walk down
the stairs but because billions of people do it every day.

But it is only a few bikers who are riding hiking trails and
their injuries and deaths are out of all proportion to what anyone else is ever
doing (except maybe those rugby players). The fact remains that hikers do not
have many injuries at all whereas bikers have numerous injuries. There is no
comparison.

Actually, no, if you bothered to read anything outside your small circle you would find out that there are appreciable risks to hiking too .... as I said earlier, nothing is 'safe'. See here http://www.besthealthdegrees.com/health-risks/

“I have gone on hundreds of hikes and nary a scratch. I once tried to ride my bike on a hiking trail near Aspen, Colorado and nearly killed myself.” – Ed Dolan

So your fundamental proposition, that mountainbiking is particularly dangerous, is simply and provably ... WRONG.

Your numbers are wacky. Most injuries never get reported to anyone except to other crazy bikers. They glory in machismo, as long as it doesn’t get them killed.

It's not risk free ... but it's not particularly risky either and not, as you no doubt think, massively more risky than hiking.

I see I have introduced some doubt in your mind. Cycling a trail in alpine terrain is extremely dangerous. It is possible that cycling on the flats is not so dangerous and may not be life threatening, although cyclists can manage even that without too much trouble.

When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when
they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to
mountain bikers!

I say good riddance to bigoted old fools who think they own the trails and can dictate to everyone.

It doesn't matter who owns the trails. It is how they are managed for best use that matters. We old fools are going to see to it that bikers like you are going to be gone from the trails sooner than you think. You should read about some of the disputes that are taking place in California, ever the bellwether for the whole world.

One example of that among hundreds:

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 22:20:14 -0700
Subject: Fwd: [RC] [Endurance Tracks] Urge Calif. State Parks to Reconsider a
Proposal That Would Curtail Bike Access