Old October 2nd 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Cable ends

On Thursday, 1 October 2020 13:24:06 UTC-4, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

While I am currently putting metallic caps on the ends of my cables, I
am wondering if there would not be a more permanent solution, that would
keep the wires together while still allowing me to remove the cable from
its housing without cutting it.

I know that soldering the cable end is a known solution, but I have no
iron, and no electricity in the basement where I keep my bicycle.

Have anyone tried other solution, such as tape, cyanoacrylate or epoxy
perhaps ? I would give them a try, but maybe I could benefit from past
experience…

Bicycly,

--
Tanguy

I crimp my aluminium cable end caps near their end - close to the cable. If I decide to reuse on, all I do is pull it off then reopen the crimped end via the use of a sharp fine point. A nail will work in a pinch.

Cheers