Old October 2nd 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Cable ends

On Friday, 2 October 2020 03:08:29 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op vrijdag 2 oktober 2020 om 02:25:06 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Thursday, 1 October 2020 13:24:06 UTC-4, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

While I am currently putting metallic caps on the ends of my cables, I
am wondering if there would not be a more permanent solution, that would
keep the wires together while still allowing me to remove the cable from
its housing without cutting it.

I know that soldering the cable end is a known solution, but I have no
iron, and no electricity in the basement where I keep my bicycle.

Have anyone tried other solution, such as tape, cyanoacrylate or epoxy
perhaps ? I would give them a try, but maybe I could benefit from past
experience…

Bicycly,

--
Tanguy

I crimp my aluminium cable end caps near their end - close to the cable.. If I decide to reuse on, all I do is pull it off then reopen the crimped end via the use of a sharp fine point. A nail will work in a pinch.

Cheers

Reuse them? Pull them off and use a new one, they are dirt cheap:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...00-pcs-p31708/

I'm still on my first batch.

Lou

Reusing them saves me a trip to the bike shop. They're not 'dirt cheap' here and I'm not ordering a gross of them online as I would never use that many in my lifetime.

Cheer